Can't install a new strategy in FT

How to create strategies and indicators
msmccray65

Can't install a new strategy in FT

#1 Postby msmccray65 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Mike,

I've developed a strategy in Lazarus and have got it to compile into a DLL. I put the DLL into my <user>/appData/Roaming/ForexTester2/Strategies folder. When I try to install it, ForexTester tells me I can't install strategies from that folder and this strategy is already installed.

I've included a screen capture of the error message & my installed strategies.

I have a registered copy of ForexTrader 2.3 and am using Lazarus 26.2 with Vista 64-bit as my OS. I am able to make installable DLLs using Delphi 2010 (although I get the unicode problem that truncates names & descriptions to a single character).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Michael McCray
Attachments
strategyList.JPG
list of installed strategies
strategyList.JPG (35.54 KiB) Viewed 13079 times
errorMessage.JPG
Error Message Details
errorMessage.JPG (23.37 KiB) Viewed 13079 times
Last edited by msmccray65 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

FT Support

#2 Postby FT Support » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:26 pm

Hello Michael,

Please do the following:

1) put the dll you've compiled somwhere outside <user>/appData/Roaming/ForexTester2/Strategies folder. For example you can develop your strategies in "C:\Programming" folder. You should not place dlls to ForexTester2/Strategies folder manually it will be done automatically when you install strategy in Forex Tester

2) Reinstall Forex Tester with such options:
- Installation Dir - "C:\ForexTester2"
- choose "Create database in program's folder"

msmccray65

#3 Postby msmccray65 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:44 pm

FT Support wrote:Hello Michael,

Please do the following:

1) put the dll you've compiled somwhere outside <user>/appData/Roaming/ForexTester2/Strategies folder. For example you can develop your strategies in "C:\Programming" folder. You should not place dlls to ForexTester2/Strategies folder manually it will be done automatically when you install strategy in Forex Tester

2) Reinstall Forex Tester with such options:
- Installation Dir - "C:\ForexTester2"
- choose "Create database in program's folder"

Still didn't work. I believe it has something to do with the Lazarus compile of the strategy. I can install C++ and Delphi 2010 strategies without a problem. I was able to do this with the Lesson 1, DemoStrategy.

FT Support

#4 Postby FT Support » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:16 am

Do you still have the same error message "This strategy is already installed"?

if yes then please remove all strategies from <Forex Tester>\Strategies folder, put your strategy to another folder and try to install it again with File->Install new strategy.

It seems that the message "This strategy is already installed" cannot appear due to Lazarus

msmccray65

Can't install DLL strategies from Lazarus

#5 Postby msmccray65 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 am

FT Support wrote:Do you still have the same error message "This strategy is already installed"?

if yes then please remove all strategies from <Forex Tester>\Strategies folder, put your strategy to another folder and try to install it again with File->Install new strategy.

It seems that the message "This strategy is already installed" cannot appear due to Lazarus

I've attached the new error message. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with a Lazurus created DLL. I don't have problems installing either C++ or Delphi 2010 created strategies. Plus the size of a Lazurus DLL is huge compared to DLLs from the other 2 programs. My OS is 64-bit Vista and my Lazurus version is 26.2.
Attachments
DemoStrategy.zip
Full DemoStrategy lazurs files
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 768 times
strategy install error message.JPG
Current lazurus created strategy install error
strategy install error message.JPG (23.62 KiB) Viewed 13041 times

FT Support

#6 Postby FT Support » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:18 pm

I've tried to compile your strategy in Lazarus and it seems that everything works fine, dll was successfully imported into Forex Tester. So please try to do the following:

1) uninstall your Lazarus (maybe some complier options or something else is set incorrectly)

2) exactly follow all steps from our video tutorial: http://www.forextester.com/video8.html

msmccray65

#7 Postby msmccray65 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:09 pm

FT Support wrote:I've tried to compile your strategy in Lazarus and it seems that everything works fine, dll was successfully imported into Forex Tester. So please try to do the following:

1) uninstall your Lazarus (maybe some complier options or something else is set incorrectly)

2) exactly follow all steps from our video tutorial: http://www.forextester.com/video8.html

Didn't work, I still can't install the strategy. I tried to compile the alligator indicator and it compiled but it wouldn't work. The DLL in the indicator folder is 98Kb while my compiled version is 6,567 Kb. Definitely something wrong.

The error message I got when trying to install the strategy & my compiler settings that were featured on the video8 are included too. I know there's something with my compiler settings but I'm not sure what. I can install C++ and Delphi 2010 without a problem so I know it's something with Lazarus.
Attachments
parsing settings screen capture.JPG
My parsing settings
parsing settings screen capture.JPG (68.71 KiB) Viewed 13010 times
project inspector screen capture.JPG
My project inspector settings
project inspector screen capture.JPG (27.26 KiB) Viewed 13010 times
demo install error.JPG
DemoStrategy install error message
demo install error.JPG (22.05 KiB) Viewed 13010 times

Return to “FT API”