Broker Data Import & Usage

Sources of data to import to the program
DaveP

Broker Data Import & Usage

#1 Postby DaveP » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:12 pm

I'm about to push the buy button but before I do:

1) There was talk of a v3 coming in the spring of 2015, but we're now several months later. Is there a chance it's going to come out in the very near future and if it does (within a month or so) would I be entitled to a free upgrade as many other software vendors offer? This would help me buy with confidence now instead of waiting.

2) I have 10+ years of real OHLC data from my broker in several time frames (Week, Day, 4H, 1H, 30M, 15M, 5M, 1M) for all the pairs I'm currently interested in trading. Am I right in thinking that as long as I export these to a suitable CSV file (e.g. one file per pair and in the PAIR, Date/Time, O, H, L, C format) that FT2 will import and use it? Is it just the 1M data I will need or are the other time frames useful, i.e. does it always calculate the higher time frames from the 1M data?

3) I have real tick data from much less time, so am I right in thinking the real tick data is only useful for knowing the exact time of execution (less than 1M resolution) or for when the 1M candle could straddle both TP and SL ? If the 1M does straddle the TP / SL is the SL checked first (my preference) ?

4) The data I have is all GMT. How does FT2 handle daylight savings time then showing day start / end etc (if at all) ?

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

FX Helper

Re: Broker Data Import & Usage

#2 Postby FX Helper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:20 am

Hello,

1) We plan to release Forex Tester 3 in a couple of months. All Forex Tester 2 customers will be able to update to Forex Tester 3 by paying only upgrade price.
Anyway the price of Forex Tester 2 + upgrade should be lesser then Forex Tester 3 price so you will not lose any money.

2) Yes, you can import historical data in .txt, .csv, .hst formats into Forex Tester using "Import from a file" button in Data Center and use these data for testing.
You can import just 1-minute data and Forex Tester will convert these data to all other timeframes automatically.

3) Tick data can be useful if you want to test scalping strategies, in other cases 1 minute data will be enough.

4) All Forex Tester data are provided in GMT. But you can change the time zone of data using "Shift time" slider in Data Center window.

DaveP

#3 Postby DaveP » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks for the reply.
Last edited by DaveP on Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveP

#4 Postby DaveP » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:45 am

...also, I have both bid and ask data, but FT2 only seems to use one (bid) and then assumes a fixed spread. Is there some way to give it the real bid/ask data and ignore the simulated spread?

FX Helper

#5 Postby FX Helper » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:57 am

Hello,

You can see bid and ask prices with floating spread only if you subscribe on VIP Data Subscription and download real tick data, in other cases spread will be fixed.
You can read about Data Service and subscribe on it here:
http://www.forextester.com/HistoryServiceDescription

Return to “Data sources”