Release 12 crapped out...

Bug reports and errors in the program
Tantalus

Release 12 crapped out...

#1 Postby Tantalus » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:27 am

I tried to run my Release 12 this morning (I've been using it successfully for a couple of days) and it just gave me an error:

Error 203 at 74C5426D

and I have to close it manually - using the Task Manager.

I tried re-downloading and re-installing the setup for R12, but then it said something like 'cannot display a disabled window' or words to that effect, then it gave the error:

Error 203 at 7FF42640

and again I had to close it manually. Now it won't even display the startup screen.

Any suggestions on getting it running again would be greatly appreciated, as I had planned on doing some detailed research today..

Thanks.

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Release 12 crapped out...

#2 Postby Terranin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:55 pm

Tantalus wrote:I tried to run my Release 12 this morning (I've been using it successfully for a couple of days) and it just gave me an error:

Error 203 at 74C5426D

and I have to close it manually - using the Task Manager.

I tried re-downloading and re-installing the setup for R12, but then it said something like 'cannot display a disabled window' or words to that effect, then it gave the error:

Error 203 at 7FF42640

and again I had to close it manually. Now it won't even display the startup screen.

Any suggestions on getting it running again would be greatly appreciated, as I had planned on doing some detailed research today..

Thanks.

Uninstall it completely, then install it again, check your HardwareID and send it to me.
Hasta la vista
Mike

Tantalus

#3 Postby Tantalus » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:35 pm

PM sent with Hardware ID...

Tantalus

#4 Postby Tantalus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:23 pm

Update:

After re-installing and receiving a reg key from Mike, my Release 12 installation is now back up and running.

However, I had the same problem again later, and I solved it by re-installing Release 11, then re-re-installing Release 12 again. This preserved my reg key (which was apparently lost when I uninstalled R12 before) so I got it running again.

The second time this occurred was right after the system shut down in the middle of a Strategy Optimizer run. I was using a strategy that doesn't open many trades simultaneously, but I wanted to run it over a large amount of data, covering 2001 to the present. Everytime I try this the program simply shuts down 1/2 way through.

I suspect it's holding onto some data that it doesn't really need to, and that causes a memory overload when doing optimization runs over very large datasets. I'm going to try reducing the memory load by optimizing over smaller parameter ranges. For instance

My original intent:
Param 1 - 10 to 100 step 10
Param 2 - 10 to 100 step 10

Now:
Param 1 - 10 to 50 step 10
Param 2 - 10 to 100 step 10

This will cut the processing load in half, and I can cover the same range in two runs, then append the data together later in Excel.

BTW, here's how I'm setting up the Optimizer:

Date range: 2001-02-01 to 2007-08-29
Process only once per bar using M15 (strategy uses H1 and only trades on newly closed bars)

Any suggestions on improving the efficiency of this setup?

Terranin
Site Admin

#5 Postby Terranin » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:32 pm

Send me source code of your expert. I will check.
Hasta la vista

Mike

Tantalus

#6 Postby Tantalus » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:48 pm

OK, I'll try to find the source for the version I'm currently trying to test, but for the moment I seem to have misplaced it... BTW, I think it's actually building up more trades than I had originally suspected, so that would add to the resource load issue.

I would like to see memory overload issues handled more gracefully in future versions. Instead of just shutting down, it would be helpful if the program gave a warning that resources are getting low, or perhaps a warning that too many trades are being opened. It would save a lot of time and frustration to have some feedback from the program as to why it's having problems with a strategy that otherwise runs flawlessly.

In the meantime, I can't seem to make it optimize on more than one parameter without crashing, so I'm going to go back to doing the second parameter manually. I hope that you can find a way to allow multi-parameter optimization without likewise multiplying resource requirements.

Return to “Bug reports”