Templates

Bug reports and errors in the program
stockwet

Templates

#1 Postby stockwet » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:37 am

Mike,

I don't know whether this is a bug, or if the program was designed this way. I created a chart template from a 15m chart that I want to use on other timeframes. However, I can only use the template on a 15m chart timeframe. If it's a bug, then, I'm reporting. If not, then I think this should be a design change such that a template applied should be available to any chart on any timeframe.

Thanks.

stockwet

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Templates

#2 Postby Terranin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:42 am

stockwet wrote:Mike,

I don't know whether this is a bug, or if the program was designed this way. I created a chart template from a 15m chart that I want to use on other timeframes. However, I can only use the template on a 15m chart timeframe. If it's a bug, then, I'm reporting. If not, then I think this should be a design change such that a template applied should be available to any chart on any timeframe.

Thanks.

stockwet

Templates work in some different way. For example you place indicators and other stuff on some currency pair on different timeframes. Then you save it as a template, go to another currency pair and apply this template to it. And it will apply all setting on all timeframes of another currency pair. It does not work on different timeframes of the same currency pair because it is applied for all timeframes of the currency pair.
Hasta la vista
Mike

stockwet

#3 Postby stockwet » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:49 am

OK. Here's some more information for you. If I apply my template to another timeframe, the chart does not change. However, if I then save that chart view with a different name, then compare the template files in Notepad, they are identical. So, something is happening where the items are not getting drawn from the template when I change the timeframe. This is looking more like a bug issue.

stockwet

#4 Postby stockwet » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:51 am

Then my templates don't seem to be working. I setup a chart in edit mode for GBPUSD and it only applies it to that one timeframe. If I switch timeframes, I lose the setup, until I switch back to the original timeframe.

Terranin wrote:
Templates work in some different way. For example you place indicators and other stuff on some currency pair on different timeframes. Then you save it as a template, go to another currency pair and apply this template to it. And it will apply all setting on all timeframes of another currency pair. It does not work on different timeframes of the same currency pair because it is applied for all timeframes of the currency pair.

stockwet

Screenshots

#5 Postby stockwet » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:56 am

Here are some screenshots
Attachments
screen_00002.gif
screen_00002.gif (28.94 KiB) Viewed 20564 times
screen_00001.gif
screen_00001.gif (32.29 KiB) Viewed 20564 times

stockwet

#6 Postby stockwet » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:11 pm

Actually, I see what you mean. A template applies to the entire group of charts, not the specific chart.

Can I request that there be a separate option here? I like how MetaTrader works. I can save a single chart template, and apply it to any chart and any timeframe. Or I can save a profile, which saves the layout of all my charts in a view.

Terranin
Site Admin

#7 Postby Terranin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:25 pm

stockwet wrote:Actually, I see what you mean. A template applies to the entire group of charts, not the specific chart.

Can I request that there be a separate option here? I like how MetaTrader works. I can save a single chart template, and apply it to any chart and any timeframe. Or I can save a profile, which saves the layout of all my charts in a view.

I mean if you set up for example USDJPY, save template and then apply it to EURUSD - you will have the same indicators on the EURUSD on the same timeframes. But you should setup indicators on the different timeframes of the USDJPY by yourself.

About profile I will think later.

In opposite of Meta Trader I did that indicators belong to timeframe. Actually Meta Trader has only one indicator per chart, just when you change timeframe it is recalculated to fit to this timeframe. But there is a weak point - it costs time, so they limited number of bars for indicator to calculate. When you try to scroll chart back you will see delays - this is the price. Forex Tester does not have this weak point, because you can place indicator only on desired timeframe and there is no recalculations when you scroll chart or change timeframe.
Hasta la vista

Mike

brokeMike

Re:

#8 Postby brokeMike » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:22 am

Terranin wrote:
stockwet wrote:About profile I will think later.

I do a lot of profile switching on MT4 durring the day:
Profile#1: market watch/setup scans (8-10 pair windows, all on template1 )
Profile#2: Entry/exit/monitoring (1 pair on 3 TF windows, all on template2)

It would be really great to also to have this on tester!
Even if it's done by just hiding the window/tab (and keep the data alive ).

Cheers
Mike.

FX Helper

#9 Postby FX Helper » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:58 am

Hello Mike,

You can use projects for this purpose.

Project saves all testing structure with orders, indicators which were placed on the chart. Also it saves all charts which were opened when you saved this project.
And after opening the project, it restores its entire saved features & elements.
So you can load project in any time and continue testing with all your previously saved data.
Please read more information about projects here: http://www.forextester.com/projects

So you can save two (or more) projects and then switch between them.

brokeMike

#10 Postby brokeMike » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:49 am

FX Helper wrote:So you can save two (or more) projects and then switch between them.

I use projects for saving my methods, what you suggest wouldn't work for me because preloading data would take to long and managing scan and trade projects would be too much effort.

What i've been doing is having a few scan windows open then I just open 3 new ones for that pair then give it my template.
It works but very messy with lots of windows, That's why I suggesting profiles(window hiding) and ordable tabs (MT4 like).
Thanks for timebox2 it fixed the colour issue.

FX Helper

#11 Postby FX Helper » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:20 am

For now you can use templates, projects or use different Forex Tester instances (install few Forex Tester instances into different folders).

I will ask our programmers to implement profiles in next Forex Tester version, if it is possible.

brokeMike

#12 Postby brokeMike » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:26 pm

FX Helper wrote:For now you can use templates, projects or use different Forex Tester instances (install few Forex Tester instances into different folders).

I will ask our programmers to implement profiles in next Forex Tester version, if it is possible.

Cool
Thanks for the suggestion, multiple instances works very well :)
Thanks again.
Mike.

Return to “Bug reports”