ForexTester on Mac OS X and Linux

Share your ideas how the software could be improved
plasmapelz

ForexTester on Mac OS X and Linux

#1 Postby plasmapelz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:56 am

Hi,
I would really like to use ForexTester on OS X. Since delphi is more or less not existent on this platform, the only way is probably over Crossover Office (www.codeweavers.com). I tried it already, and it runs more or less until some point when it seems that some DLL's or so get messed up and it crashes with some hexadecimal error code.

So my questions are
(a, the unlikely one): Do you plan to provide a native version for Mac Users?
(b the more likely one): Could you test the program on CrossoverOffice and make it run on OSX and Linux this way?

I think this would greatly enhance your user base. BTW, MetaTrader runs fine on Crossover Office.

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: ForexTester on Mac OS X and Linux

#2 Postby Terranin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:20 pm

plasmapelz wrote:Hi,
I would really like to use ForexTester on OS X. Since delphi is more or less not existent on this platform, the only way is probably over Crossover Office (www.codeweavers.com). I tried it already, and it runs more or less until some point when it seems that some DLL's or so get messed up and it crashes with some hexadecimal error code.

So my questions are
(a, the unlikely one): Do you plan to provide a native version for Mac Users?
(b the more likely one): Could you test the program on CrossoverOffice and make it run on OSX and Linux this way?

I think this would greatly enhance your user base. BTW, MetaTrader runs fine on Crossover Office.

After second version release I will try. Can not promise it for sure, but at least I have Mac Book Pro for tests. :)
Hasta la vista
Mike

varontron

#3 Postby varontron » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:46 pm

I used FT and now FT2 on OSX 10.5.6 using VMWare Fusion 2.0 and WinXP SP2.

I've had no trouble whatsoever.

You likely know Crossover and other WINE implementations are reverse engineered API, and therefore not fully functional nor as reliable as natives. I've heard they are great for basic stuff, but for anything heavy duty, I suggest virtualization.

VMWare is my choice because of it's support for discrete, multiple monitors (Parallels mapped multi's as one big monitor, taking the vertical from the smaller, and splitting dialogs across and such.) With VMWare, it's just like I have a laptop and external monitor, which is in fact what I use (MBP, 2.3ghz, 3GB ram)

I also run MT4 and MBT Navigator in this setup.

DoctorPips

#4 Postby DoctorPips » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:28 pm

I'll second the motion on Vmware. It works just fine on my Macbook with an external monitor. Even on my iMacs I can set up a 20" with a 20" external montior alongside and there you have your two monitor setup. I've used Parallels and eventually gave up on them. The codeweavers product was simply too annoying and buggy.

Wessel

#5 Postby Wessel » Fri May 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Well :)
Tonight I have been experimenting with the Latest version of CrossOver of Codeweaver and it looks like ForexTester2 runs fine on this new version (Version 11.0.3 (11.0.3.26035)).

I still tried it on demo as I need to request a transfer of my serial to a new HW id unfortunately :-/. But i might do that next week for testers sake :)

My first experience is that ForexTester is a lot faster under CrossOver than it is under VMware or Bootcamp. I presume its there is no MSdino hanging on it's leg of ForexTester ;-) since cross over does not need a full windows install it just runs out of the box.

I'll post here when I have more results...

Wessel

Makai

#6 Postby Makai » Mon May 21, 2012 6:08 am

I am using Forex Tester 2 with Parallels (not the latest version) and Win XP.
Works fine. If you are not happy with Crossover you can use either VMWare or Parallels.
No need to boot your Mac in Windows unless you want maximum speed.

Wessel

#7 Postby Wessel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:37 am

Unfortunately I cound't get ForexTester working complete with CrossOver it kept on behaving straggly.

Nikki25 managed to get it workign quite well, but gets stucked on the data import.

http://forextester.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3301

beebolbod

#8 Postby beebolbod » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Anyone got any solution for this? I run this under wineskin and get the same data import errors and also cant connect to data center.
I can run pretty much any other win program no problem so i cant see why this wont work....

FT Support

#9 Postby FT Support » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 am

Please try other Windows simulator (for example VMWare)
Check our other product here:
http://www.forexcopier.com

Random

#10 Postby Random » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:31 am

My combination: Linux (CentOS) + VirtualBox + Windows 7 + Forextester 2

Works like a charm, no problems at all.

Return to “New Feature Suggestions”