Option to have indicators on all time frames in both E/T

Share your ideas how the software could be improved
plasmapelz

Option to have indicators on all time frames in both E/T

#1 Postby plasmapelz » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:25 am

I frequently need to add my indicators on every time frame, in both Edit and Testing mode. Whenever I want to change a parameter in an indicator, I need to do this on every time frame in both Edit/Test mode. It makes me sick.

Could you please add an option that allows the indicators to be specified for all time frames and all modes? At least please optionally? I really don't need individual indicators on individual time frames, I need my indicators on all time frames.

The current way is good for people who like to specify different parameters/indicators for different TF's - but how many on earth do this?

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Option to have indicators on all time frames in both E/T

#2 Postby Terranin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:05 am

plasmapelz wrote:I frequently need to add my indicators on every time frame, in both Edit and Testing mode. Whenever I want to change a parameter in an indicator, I need to do this on every time frame in both Edit/Test mode. It makes me sick.

Could you please add an option that allows the indicators to be specified for all time frames and all modes? At least please optionally? I really don't need individual indicators on individual time frames, I need my indicators on all time frames.

The current way is good for people who like to specify different parameters/indicators for different TF's - but how many on earth do this?

It is difficult question, because program should work fast but too many indicators can slow it down significantly. Specially on the low timeframes. For common charting realtime software it is not as important because it only processes 1 - 2 ticks per second, but in ForexTester for example, if you press Space button on a daily timeframe, it should process at least 4 x 60 x 24 = 5760 ticks in a second, now multiply it on 10 indicators on every timeframe that also should make not a small calculations on EVERY tick... I will think on this question after the second version release.

To transfer you indicators from Edit Mode to testing mode I could recommend to put your indicators on a single currency on all timeframes, then save it as a template and then you can apply it to other currencies in different modes.
Hasta la vista
Mike

plasmapelz

#3 Postby plasmapelz » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:50 pm

Terranin wrote:It is difficult question, because program should work fast but too many indicators can slow it down significantly. Specially on the low timeframes. For common charting realtime software it is not as important because it only processes 1 - 2 ticks per second, but in ForexTester for example, if you press Space button on a daily timeframe, it should process at least 4 x 60 x 24 = 5760 ticks in a second, now multiply it on 10 indicators on every timeframe that also should make not a small calculations on EVERY tick... I will think on this question after the second version release.

Hmm, I wonder if the indicators would need to be updated on all time frames with every step? Or would it be enough to update them only on the current TF? In the end they guide my decision just in the current time frame.

Terranin wrote:To transfer you indicators from Edit Mode to testing mode I could recommend to put your indicators on a single currency on all timeframes, then save it as a template and then you can apply it to other currencies in different modes.

That's how I do it currently. Works fine, but does not prevent me from the repeated work when changing parameters or trying out a new indicator (add/remove etc.)...

Terranin
Site Admin

#4 Postby Terranin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:01 pm

plasmapelz wrote:
Terranin wrote:It is difficult question, because program should work fast but too many indicators can slow it down significantly. Specially on the low timeframes. For common charting realtime software it is not as important because it only processes 1 - 2 ticks per second, but in ForexTester for example, if you press Space button on a daily timeframe, it should process at least 4 x 60 x 24 = 5760 ticks in a second, now multiply it on 10 indicators on every timeframe that also should make not a small calculations on EVERY tick... I will think on this question after the second version release.

Hmm, I wonder if the indicators would need to be updated on all time frames with every step? Or would it be enough to update them only on the current TF? In the end they guide my decision just in the current time frame.

Terranin wrote:To transfer you indicators from Edit Mode to testing mode I could recommend to put your indicators on a single currency on all timeframes, then save it as a template and then you can apply it to other currencies in different modes.

That's how I do it currently. Works fine, but does not prevent me from the repeated work when changing parameters or trying out a new indicator (add/remove etc.)...

It should be updated so, because not only you can trade manually but some automated strategy could work too at the same time.
Hasta la vista

Mike

plasmapelz

#5 Postby plasmapelz » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:07 pm

Terranin wrote:It should be updated so, because not only you can trade manually but some automated strategy could work too at the same time.

I assume that's the reason why stepping in the daily TF is so slow (it is getting slower when the time increases), and in weekly even slower?
How about leaving this as a choice to the user? When I step daily, all I need is an hour by hour processing at most. This would make for 24 updates each step, not more. Sure, this is not as accurate, but I don't need it that accurate. Currently the increased accuracy just slows down my testing when the processing is done minute by minute, with 24x60=1440 updates to be applied with every step... tickwise would even be worse.
It would be good to have a dialog where you can set the package size to process. So users would have the choice between more speed or more accuracy. Whatever they need, dependent on their testing style, automatic strategies etc. I for example just use the replay function and put orders manually.

Terranin
Site Admin

#6 Postby Terranin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:47 pm

plasmapelz wrote:
Terranin wrote:It should be updated so, because not only you can trade manually but some automated strategy could work too at the same time.

I assume that's the reason why stepping in the daily TF is so slow (it is getting slower when the time increases), and in weekly even slower?
How about leaving this as a choice to the user? When I step daily, all I need is an hour by hour processing at most. This would make for 24 updates each step, not more. Sure, this is not as accurate, but I don't need it that accurate. Currently the increased accuracy just slows down my testing when the processing is done minute by minute, with 24x60=1440 updates to be applied with every step... tickwise would even be worse.
It would be good to have a dialog where you can set the package size to process. So users would have the choice between more speed or more accuracy. Whatever they need, dependent on their testing style, automatic strategies etc. I for example just use the replay function and put orders manually.

Ok, I will think about this option, our current goal is to finish version 2. :) After that I will think about other improvements. Anyway I carefully read this forum and collect all good suggestions.
Hasta la vista

Mike

plasmapelz

#7 Postby plasmapelz » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:57 pm

Terranin wrote:Anyway I carefully read this forum and collect all good suggestions.

Thanks. That's why I like you guys :D! It's fun to do business with you...

Return to “New Feature Suggestions”