trade execution problem

Ask general questions about the software
jwalters

trade execution problem

#1 Postby jwalters » Sat May 16, 2015 1:41 pm

i am testing 4 pairs at the same time. I put a pending order on 2 two of the pairs at the same time. When I forward to the next bar one pair triggered and the other pending order disappeared. How do I stop it from disappearing?

FX Helper

Re: trade execution problem

#2 Postby FX Helper » Mon May 18, 2015 9:27 am

Hello,

If you place pending order but it disappears then probably this pending order wasn’t opened due to insufficient margin.
Please switch to “Journal” tab and you should see such message.

We recommend you to deposit more money during testing via Orders -> Deposit Money menu to solve this issue.
Also you can change the margin value in properties of currency pair, to change properties please go to History Mode, open Data Center, select necessary pair, click “Change properties”, change them and then re-generate ticks and start a new test.

erob1022

#3 Postby erob1022 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:46 am

I cannot execute a pending order at the price I want. For example if I want to enter a sell stop order at a price below current price, I get the message: "Cannot place pending order:order of this type cannot be placed at the requested price" I trade a 15 min chart. Usually my entry price is fairly close to the current price. I find if I set the sell stop entry price 10 pips or more below the current price, my order is accepted. Is it a fact that entry price must be at least 10 pips away from current price in order to be accepted? If so can this parameter be changed? 10 pips on fifteen min chart is huge! If this is an actual constraint and cannot be modified by the user, then I can't possibly test my strategy on this software.

FX Helper

#4 Postby FX Helper » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:49 am

Hello,

Pending orders need to be sent at higher or lower price depending on the type of order.

Buy Limit and Sell Stop orders can be opened below the current price. Buy Stop and Sell Limit orders need to be placed higher than current price
Probably, while you open Buy Limit, for example, the price dropped and execution price of Buy Limit became above the current price, so in this case Buy Limit cannot be opened.

We recommend you to enable “Set pause while placing or modifying the order” option. You can find it in Tools -> Options menu in Forex Tester.
With help of this option when you open windows for placing or modifying orders there will be automatic pause so you can avoid these problems in future.

Also you can do the following: Go to History Mode, open Data Center, select necessary pair, click "Change properties" and decrease the value in "Min distance to price (pips):" field.
Then re-generate ticks and start a new test, this should help.

Please let us know if you still have this issue.

erob1022

#5 Postby erob1022 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:15 am

Thank you for your prompt reply. I always set up my orders in pause mode, so price hadn't changed. Also my entry price was below current price for the sell stop order. I went to history mode and found that, for the pair I'm testing, Min Distance to price (pips) value was set at 2 pips. So I still seem to have the issue, but I'm grateful to learn that the minimum pip distance can be adjusted. I did do a test after checking the min pip value and it seemed to accept a 9 pip distance from current price to entry. I will continue to test this issue and tell you if it seems to be resolved (or not)

FX Helper

#6 Postby FX Helper » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:15 am

Hello,

Please note that Sell Stop order is opened by Bid price, If you see only Ask price on chart this can be a reason because Bid price is lower then Ask price.
Right-click on chart -> Options -> Chart options tab -> Show Bid level, in this case you will see Bid price and will be able to open pending order below this line.

Let us know if you still have this issue.

Return to “General Questions about FT”