Volume incorrect and importing data

Ask general questions about the software
yanster

Volume incorrect and importing data

#1 Postby yanster » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi,

I'm evaluating the trial version of forex tester to see if it meets my needs. Looks pretty good so far. However I am running into some big problems with volume and data import.

To trade I need price and volume information. So I have downloaded some data from dukascopy as the free data doesn't contain volume information. After importing this into forex tester via the import from file function things work OK except for the fact forex tester doesn't seem to handle volume information greater than roughly 1000 in test mode (it appears OK in history mode).

If I generate tick data randomly by real volume and the volume is greater than 1000 then in test mode this usually gets shown as having a volume of 3 or 4.

After reading the forums and finding similar questions by other users it seems the answer is to divide the volume by 10 in excel so it's no longer greater than 1000.

However opening the .csv file up in Excel 2010 and then just saving it as .csv seems to break something in the file even though it all looks OK. Now if I import it into Forex Tester everything in the file "import history data" dialog looks OK, there are no converting errors. But when the import is complete large chunks of data seem to be missing.

I tried saving in various different formats and I tried to use libre office but the problem persists. If you open the .csv in notepad and save it then there are no problems. However going though thousands of lines of text changing the volume numbers manually in notepad would take forever.

So my questions are :

1) Are my thoughts about forex tester and volume greater than 1000 correct or am I missing something?
2) How to save the .csv with Excel such that compatibility with forex tester is maintained?

I've attached my sample data.
- If you want to check the volume problem then look at row 3881 (from 15/10/2014 at 14:39) it has a volume of 1346 but in test mode the volume will be 3 or 4.
- If you open the .csv in Excel and save it again, then import it into forex tester chunks of data will be missing.

Thanks
Attachments
EURUSD.zip
Sample problem data
(363.11 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

FX Helper

Re: Volume incorrect and importing data

#2 Postby FX Helper » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:00 am

Hello,

Yes, Forex Tester doesn't work with volumes > 1000 because it's too bulky to calculate such big volumes for each bar. So we can recommend you to decrease volumes which are bigger than 999.
Please see attached. There you will find a file with correct volumes.

When you open file via Excel it replaces "000000" for the "0", "001000" for the "1000" so Forex Tester can't recognize time when you import this file and skips this row.
Attachments
EURUSD.zip
(339.8 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

yanster

Re: Volume incorrect and importing data

#3 Postby yanster » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:44 am

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

I'll check it out, just my luck that Excel removes zero's without indication. I'll see if I can find a way to import the .csv without Excel doing this.

Thanks again,

Return to “General Questions about FT”