Can anyone confirm that FT can do these things?

Ask general questions about the software
Johntheshop

Can anyone confirm that FT can do these things?

#1 Postby Johntheshop » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:51 am

Hi Everyone.

I am looking for a historical tool to practice and look at past movements and hoping that FT is the one. My requirements probably are not demanding but I am looking to practice my trading retrospectively . I generally work with the following pairs Eur/Aud, Eur /Jpy, Gbp/Jpy, Gbp/Usd as they give me coverage of currency and correlation for my limited trading hours in the UK.
I ideally what I would like is
1. Real time replay of past announcements so even if I miss the announcements during the week I can trade them in practice. What is the highest resolution? 1 second?, 5 second?

2.Along with second by second real time it would be great if the spreads are real time also as I wait for the spreads to reduce before I enter my trades. Is second by second replay available? is spread replay (doesn't matter which account provider) available to match the candle replay?

3.Lastly I assume this data is locally stored on my computer and I do not require a constant internet connection? I spend many hours bored on planes that I could be doing something more constructive.

That is pretty much it for now. I have seen some testers that do 1 min data but that resolution will be too coarse for what I want which is more a trading simulator rather than a longer timeframe back tester.

Apologies if this has been covered many times before, I have watched tutorials, read endless blogs and info but the answers were not specific enough. If someone who uses this software could just spare a few moments to confirm that what I want to do is possible that would make my week.

Best wishes,
John

FX Helper

Re: Can anyone confirm that FT can do these things?

#2 Postby FX Helper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:56 am

1. Forex Tester allows to perform testing on any timeframe which is biggern then 1 minute.
Also you can define the step of testing - tick package size. So you can set how often to update charts, if you set Every tick - charts will be updated after every tick processing, if you set 15 minutes - charts will be updated after processing 15 minute- tick- package. It also affects the speed. So you can perform testing tick-by-tick - like in real trading
2. By default, Forex Tester has fixed spread. But if you subscribe on VIP Data Service, you will be able to download real tick data with real floating spread.
You can read about Data Service here: http://www.forextester.com/DataService.html
So you can perfom tick-by-tick testing on data with real floating spread.
3. You need Internet connection only for downloading data from our servers. Once you donwload all data you can perform your tests in offline mode without Internet connection.

Hattori Hanzo

#3 Postby Hattori Hanzo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Hello!

I am not subscribed to VIP Data Service, but I have tick data with real floating spread from a broker. Is it possible to import this data to Forex Tester 2 somehow? Suppose the answer is yes, because data downloaded via "VIP Data Service" is also stored on the HDD in a specific format. So what I need to know is the format and location of the data file only -I think.

FX Helper

#4 Postby FX Helper » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:38 am

Hello,

Sorry, but Forex Tester program doesn't allow importing tick data from a file, you can import only minutes data into the program.

Hattori Hanzo

#5 Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:18 pm

Hello,
I see. Thank you. Is it possible to import minutes data with floating spread? If so, what data format is necessary?
Thanks

FX Helper

#6 Postby FX Helper » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:57 am

Hello,

You can only import minutes data with Bid value or Ask value, the spread will be fixed in this case, you can set it in the properties of the currency pair.

Return to “General Questions about FT”