charts look different in ninja compared with forex tester

Ask general questions about the software
rick86

charts look different in ninja compared with forex tester

#1 Postby rick86 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:46 am

I exported data from ninja and imported it into forex tester (after some tweaking in excel). When I open a 1m chart in ninja for this time period, it looks identical to the 1m chart in forex tester for the same time period. However, when I change the time period in ninja and in forex tester to 3m or 5m, all of a sudden, the individual bars look very different. The swing highs and swing lows are all the same on both charts, but the open/high/low/close of the bars are VERY different. Then when I change back to 1m, everything is IDENTICAL. Every single bar is exactly the same (so I know that the data is exactly the same).

Anybody have any idea what would be causing this?

Thanks for your help.

rick86

Re: charts look different in ninja compared with forex teste

#2 Postby rick86 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:18 am

I just re-read my post and I think I might have been unclear in the way I described the issue I'm having.

When I open 1m charts in ninja and forex tester, the 2 charts are identical. Every bar on the ninja chart has the same open/high/low/close as the same bar on the forex tester chart. When I change the 2 charts to any other time frame that isn't 1m, the bars on the ninja chart have completely different OHLC values than the same bars on the forex tester chart have. The swing highs and lows are the same but the bars that make up the swings are different.

I also found this to be the case with ascii files and csv files that I bought from disktrading.com so I know it isn't an issue with the exported ninja data.

I must have some setting wrong in forex tester which is causing it to build erroneous bars from the 1m data.

Thanks again for any help anyone can provide.

FX Helper

#3 Postby FX Helper » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:43 am

Hello,

Probably, the difference in charts in your platform and in Forex Tester is in different algorithms of converting minutes data into bigger minutes timeframe.
You can obtain the same bars if you move lines in your file by one minute (so the string which has 11:01:00 time will become string with 11:00:00, string which has 12:26:00 time will become string with 12:25:00 etc.) and the bars in Forex Tester will become the same as in your terminal.
You can do it via Excel by yourself or you can send this file to us and we will try to convert it and then send it to you.

rick86

#4 Postby rick86 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Very interesting, thanks for the info.

I would hate to bother you guys with having to convert my data files, would there be any way you could tell me how to make the conversion in excel? I'm not very experienced with excel but I can follow directions...LOL

I guess I could just subtract 1 from each time stamp (or actually, subtract 100 since each time is of the format: 174500, or 023100) but I'm wondering how to deal with the time stamp of 000000.

Thanks again for the help.

rick86

#5 Postby rick86 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:59 pm

I figured it out. I just subtracted 100 from each time value and it worked perfectly. Thanks for your help.

FX Helper

#6 Postby FX Helper » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:16 am

Hello,

Ok, great. Please let us know if you have any qeustions or need any help.

Return to “General Questions about FT”