Concept Behind a Template

Frequently Asked Questions
mgdac

#1 Postby mgdac » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:07 pm

I am new to FT, so I hope the observations below are false and someone can direct me to the correct info.

I am trying to build charts for each currency pair with the indicators I use for my strategy.

For every timeframe per currency pair window, I have to rebuild these indicators since different time frames in the same currency pair window do not automatically see the same indicators.

As far as I understand the only use saved templates have is that they allow you to rebuild a chart if it is accidentally deleted.

They cannot help you to build a new currency pair chart exactly like an existing one with a different currency pair.

I am finding the setup process very frustrating.
Gods Blessing
MGDAC

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Concept Behind a Template

#2 Postby Terranin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:13 am

mgdac wrote:I am new to FT, so I hope the observations below are false and someone can direct me to the correct info.

I am trying to build charts for each currency pair with the indicators I use for my strategy.

For every timeframe per currency pair window, I have to rebuild these indicators since different time frames in the same currency pair window do not automatically see the same indicators.

As far as I understand the only use saved templates have is that they allow you to rebuild a chart if it is accidentally deleted.

They cannot help you to build a new currency pair chart exactly like an existing one with a different currency pair.

I am finding the setup process very frustrating.

Template saves all indicators on all timeframes, and all paint tools for a whole window. So, you can apply this template to another window but not to another timeframe of the same window. So for example you can set Moving average to 5m and 1h timeframes on EURUSD and then apply this template to USDJPY and you will find moving average on the same timeframes there after applying template.

But if you apply MA to 5m, save template and then try to load it on 1h (on the same window) it will just delete all current indicators and paint tools, load saved template and restore MA on 5m.
Hasta la vista
Mike

mgdac

#3 Postby mgdac » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks Mike,

Indicators being timeframe dependent within a window is a new concept for me.
Maybe in the future you could add a global section per window so that all timeframes within the window will see the gobal indicators.

Love your program.
Gods Blessing

MGDAC

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: Concept Behind a Template

#4 Postby Terranin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:36 pm

mgdac wrote:Thanks Mike,

Indicators being timeframe dependent within a window is a new concept for me.
Maybe in the future you could add a global section per window so that all timeframes within the window will see the gobal indicators.

Love your program.

It was done in optimization purpose, to reduce recalculation time. It will be too much to recount indicators on all timeframes and will reduce testing speed.
Hasta la vista

Mike

Kcomplex

#5 Postby Kcomplex » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:40 am

If i understand this correctly it means that we must set up all our indicators seperately on each TF within a template? Is there no way to simply save an indicators settings or a set of indicator settings (including colours and sizes etc) and then apply these to the given TF rather than starting from scratch each time? if not this would be a very useful feature and save a lot of time having to set up each indicator seperately on each TF.

Enjoying the software. Thanks for your efforts.

Return to “FAQ”