FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Frequently Asked Questions
Terranin
Site Admin

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

#1 Postby Terranin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:33 am

Compatibility

Q: With what Windows versions Forex Tester is compatible?
A: With Windows 2000 and higher (Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista). Forex Tester is not compatible with Windows 95/98/Me.

Q: Can Forex Tester work on Apple Macintosh computer?
A: It can not work under Apple operation system, but could work if you install Windows on this computer or run some Windows simulation software (VM Ware for example).

Q: Can I test Expert Advisers and indicators from MetaTrader with your software?
A: No. The only software where you can use them is MetaTrader itself. But those experts and indicators could be rewrited by a programmer into ForexTester format using Forex Tester API libraries.

Purchase and registration

Q: I purchased 1 license and I want to install Forex Tester on my home computer and my work computer. Can I do this?
A: No. Our sales policy is: one computer - one license. Software is attached to your computer and can not be registered with the same key on another computer(s). User has the right to move Forex Tester to another computer in case of crash old computer or purchasing new one. In this case we block old key and issue new one at no extra cost. Unfortunately we can not issue keys for 2 or more computers, that single user could have, for a price of a single license. In this case you can purchase more than one license with significant discounts.

Q: I purchased 1 license, after some time I want to buy one more. Can I have a discount?
A: Yes, we can give you discount for second license.

Q: My computer where I installed Forex Tester is broken (I purchased new computer/I want to install Forex Tester on more powerfull computer/etc.). What can I do?
A: In this case you can move your license to another computer at no extra cost. We will block old registration key and issue new one for free.

Q: Do I pay for your software one time or is it a monthly/early fee?
A: It is one time payment. You will not be charged in future (except if you decide to upgrade for the next major version).

Q: For how long my registration key is valid?
A: Forever.

Q: I put my registration key to registration form and program says that it is incorrect. What is wrong?
A: Different versions of Forex Tester use different registration keys. If you are trying to register Forex Tester 2 with registration key created for Forex Tester Professional (Lite) then it will be invalid. Also, because software is linked to your computer, you can not register Forex Tester on different computer with the same key. To obtain correct registration key for selected computer you need to fill this form http://www.forextester.com/keyrequest.php and put there correct HardwareID code from your computer (see how to find HardwareID http://www.forextester.com/id.html).

Q: Do you provide software upgrades for free?
A: We provide minor upgrades for free. For example after release of version 1 we issued versions 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 ... 1.12. You can have these upgrades for free and your registration key is valid for them. But to upgrade for new major version 2 you need to pay upgrade fee (that is not very big, ~25% of new version price).

Demo version and full version

Q: Where can I download demo version?
A: You can download it here: www.forextester.com/download.html

Q: What are the limitations of demo version?
A: In demo version you can not test more then 1 month of historical data, load and save projects, and you can not continue testing after it was stopped.

Q: Where can I get full version?
A: After you register demo version with your registration key, all limitations will be removed and it becomes full version.

Other questions

Q: I reinstalled my operation system and Forex Tester stopped working.
A: Forex Tester saves your hard drive configuration as a unique HardwareID to identify your computer. In some cases reinstalling of OS can change this id. You need to send us your new HardwareID and we will generate new registration key for you.

Q: Your software has only 1 month of historical data preinstalled. Where can I get data for bigger period?
A: We included 1 month of historical data to our setup file for size reasons. You can download historical data from our site here http://www.forextester.com/datasources.html for free. We provide data from 2001 year to current moment and update this data monthly.

Q: I can not import history and can not add new symbols.
A: You can do this only in History Mode, in Testing Mode you can not add new symbols and import history. Switch to History Mode.

Q: I imported historical data in History Mode, then switched to Testing Mode and there is still only 1 month of data.
A: You need to generate ticks first for desired period of time and symbols.

Q: I imported data in History Mode, generated tikcs, switched to Testing Mode and still see only 1 month of data there!
A: You see results of previous test. You need to start new test - press the "Start Test" button. If pause was set, release "Pause" button also.

Q: I generated ticks for 2 (or more) symbols, when I started test I can see bars on one chart, but second chart is empty. What I am doing wrong?
A: It is possible that you imported more history for 1 symbol, then for others. For example, you imported history for EURUSD from 2001/01/01 to 2009/01/01, and for USDJPY from 2002/01/01 to 2009/01/01. And you generated ticks from 2001/01/01 to 2009/01/01. When you start test you will see bars created on EURUSD chart and nothing on USDJPY chart until testing time reaches 2002/01/01. Then you will see bars on 2 charts.

Q: I generated ticks for USDJPY, then I generated ticks for EURUSD. When I switched to Testing Mode I can see only EURUSD but I want to see both.
A: You need to generate ticks for 2 symbols at the same time. Every new ticks generation erases previously created data.
Hasta la vista
Mike

superdoug3

win 7 65 bit, Vista Home Premium 64 bit

#2 Postby superdoug3 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:11 pm

under OS requirements there is one thing left out. Does Forextester work as well on Win 64 bit as on Win 32 bit machines. Not talking of speed but rather is all functionality the same on both Win OS 32 and WIN OS 64 ?

For example, I read that allMetratrader functions work as well under 64 as under 32, except Alerts do not work on 64 bit. I would not miss not having Alerts

Terranin
Site Admin

Re: win 7 65 bit, Vista Home Premium 64 bit

#3 Postby Terranin » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:03 am

superdoug3 wrote:under OS requirements there is one thing left out. Does Forextester work as well on Win 64 bit as on Win 32 bit machines. Not talking of speed but rather is all functionality the same on both Win OS 32 and WIN OS 64 ?

For example, I read that allMetratrader functions work as well under 64 as under 32, except Alerts do not work on 64 bit. I would not miss not having Alerts

Yes, it is fully functional on Win 64.
Hasta la vista

Mike

andrea

account

#4 Postby andrea » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:59 am

Hi
new to forex tester 2
would you please help in providing info on how to modify account value when testing?
many thanks
Andrea

FT Support

#5 Postby FT Support » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:00 am

Hello Andrea!

You can modify account value using "Deposit" and "Withdraw" options from "Orders" menu. Please see the screenshot below.
Attachments
Deposit_Withdraw.png
Deposit_Withdraw.png (35.49 KiB) Viewed 123493 times
Check our other product here:
http://www.forexcopier.com

andrea

#6 Postby andrea » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:47 am

many thanks!
Andrea

FT Support wrote:Hello Andrea!

You can modify account value using "Deposit" and "Withdraw" options from "Orders" menu. Please see the screenshot below.

superdoug3

#7 Postby superdoug3 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:20 pm

a question about which Operating system is the best for FT

1. I currently am running Vista 32 Home Premium on a I7 920 computer and using Optimizer it still takes forever to complete. Watching Core useage, all cores are used, but never to maximum. I am satisfied with Vista and would not switch other than for a good reason
2. would I be better, from a point of view of speed, to purchase Windows 7, Windows XP or just stick with what I have.
3. Windows XP will soon not be available for purchase
4. Eventually FT will no longer support XP, I suppose this is many years in the future.
5. I think going with any Windows 64 will only extend my memory usage, which, my CPU monitor indicates is not an issue.
6. I have heard horror stories of Windows XP 64 and good stories of Windows 7 - 64

FT Support

#8 Postby FT Support » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:34 am

I think that you can stay with your current OS.

Sorry i cannot say anything about FT performance in diffenect OS. We did not do comparisons.

For Forex Tester most important component is fast hard drive (because it works with huge arrays of data cashed on HDD and does many read/write operations during test) so maybe you can purchase some fast HDD and it will help.
Check our other product here:
http://www.forexcopier.com

superdoug3

#9 Postby superdoug3 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:34 am

You indicate that ForexTester in Optimizer mode does lots of reads and writes to the Hard Drive. I am considering 2 SSD drives in RAID0 mode. I have lots of choices depending on what Read and what Write speeds I need. Would Optimizer need mostly read speed or would it need equal read and write speed. OCZ Vertex provide high write speeds, but I would consider Intel if writing is not needed as much as reading is.

Terranin
Site Admin

#10 Postby Terranin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:05 pm

superdoug3 wrote:You indicate that ForexTester in Optimizer mode does lots of reads and writes to the Hard Drive. I am considering 2 SSD drives in RAID0 mode. I have lots of choices depending on what Read and what Write speeds I need. Would Optimizer need mostly read speed or would it need equal read and write speed. OCZ Vertex provide high write speeds, but I would consider Intel if writing is not needed as much as reading is.

Write speed is more important. Forex Tester uses data located on HDD and cashed in memory. So, when it need to access some bar, and it is already chased in memory - it does not read from disk. But, when it forms new bars, it should be saved on disk immediately. (otherwise if it was cashed and postponed to write, and some crash happened, then data on disk will be broken)
Hasta la vista

Mike

Frankm

Re: FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

#11 Postby Frankm » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:36 am

I just bought ForexTester2 which is very worthwhile to study different strategies.
My issue is my PC software has just updated and reinstalled again which changed my machine ID which in turn block my key from been used now.. this is still the same PC only the software has messed things up :-(
Can you please help me..

Thanks
Frank

brokeMike

#12 Postby brokeMike » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:12 am

Frankm wrote:I just bought ForexTester2 which is very worthwhile to study different strategies.
My issue is my PC software has just updated and reinstalled again which changed my machine ID which in turn block my key from been used now.. this is still the same PC only the software has messed things up :-(
Can you please help me..

Thanks
Frank

email support

FX Helper

#13 Postby FX Helper » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:11 am

Hello,

Please do these steps to re-register the program:
1. Run your Forex Tester.
2. Go to Help -> Register program menu
3. Choose "I do not have a registration key" and press "Next"
4. Choose "Yes, I already paid" and press "Next"
5. Fill key request form in next window. Choose "Old key does not work" option as reason to request the registration key.
o If you forgot some contact information, you can write something like “Don’t remember”
6. Press "Request key" button.
7. We will generate registration key for you and send it via email within next 24 hours (usually much faster).

Frankm

#14 Postby Frankm » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks, All Sorted now :-)

rudy

#15 Postby rudy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:56 am

Hi I noticed when looking at a daily and weekly chart side by side, the new weekly bar isn't created until Tuesday. Is there a way to get it to be created on Sunday or Monday - is this dependent on which broker I download data from?

FX Helper

#16 Postby FX Helper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:11 am

Hello,

Historical data for what pair and from what broker do you download?

I just checked this in my Forex Tester and I see that weekly bar is created on Monday.

rudy

#17 Postby rudy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:37 am

I was testing audusd from Forexite

FX Helper

#18 Postby FX Helper » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:21 am

Hello,

I've just tested AUDUSD data from Forexite broker on weekly chart and the bars start on Monday (please see the screenshot).
What start date do you see there on your chart?
Attachments
audusd.png
audusd.png (13.35 KiB) Viewed 121207 times

tmokbel1965

#19 Postby tmokbel1965 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:02 pm

Hey there guys! I am wondering, if anyone can tell me how to get FT up and running on a Mac. Can I use some type of program to run it, without installing windows? Sometimes I regret going the Mac route and this is definitely one of those times.

FX Helper

#20 Postby FX Helper » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:25 am

Hello

Forex Tester cannot work under Apple operating system, but can work if you install Windows on this computer or run some Windows simulation software (VMware or Parallels).

Return to “FAQ”